With the generous support of the Ford Foundation, the French-American Foundation is launching the Immigration Journalism Fellowship. This first of its kind Fellowship aims to provide media professionals with the financial means to produce objective and challenging material on one of the most heated and controversial contemporary issues. To that end, the French-American Foundation will award fellows up to $10,000 for their work, to be completed over a 4-6 month period.
The fellowship is open to experienced journalists of any nationality and with an interest in questions of immigration and integration. The French American Foundation will pay special attention to innovative and groundbreaking material. We are looking for visionary, uncovered and meaningful stories with the potential to advance public debate. Both creative content and format will draw our particular attention. All types of stories will be considered (local, global, cultural, economic, etc.), as long as they comply with journalism ethics of fairness and responsibility.
Application deadline: Wednesday, November 16, 12:00 PM EST
The French-American Foundation and its Media Advisory Committee will consider media professionals:
- from all types of media (print, web, broadcast, documentary, etc.);
- with a minimum of three years of professionalism journalism experience and outstanding achievements in the field;
- of all nationalities (note that the work produced as part of the fellowship must be published in the United States or in Europe);
- with the ability to work in either English or French (the final work must be published in English or French);
- with a prior commitment from a media organization to publish the work produced.
Applications will be evaluated according to the proposed reporting projects’:
- originality and innovation;
- potential for a tangible and lasting impact on journalists and the general public;
- potential for adaptation to different media (video, podcasts, radio, etc.).
Journalists can apply individually, but publications and media organizations are encouraged to submit the names of journalists. Teams of up to three journalists can also apply for a single fellowship and share the funds towards completing their project. Freelancers are eligible to apply as well.
Please note that the fellowship will not pay salaries for journalists on the program but will offer the possibility of a stipend. In addition, it will not cover the costs of a traveling companion, and each fellow can only obtain financing for one project at a time.
At the end of the fellowship, selected fellows will be invited to attend a closing ceremony in New York.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Information: French American Foundation